${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt} Main Menu
Call Today: 855-805-0595

Father who is out of work jailed for not paying child support

A 31-year-old father was recently released from jail for failing to pay child support. He is supposedly $50,000 behind on payments, and will be sentenced in early April for failure to support or maintain a child.

In this case, while the man has already pleaded guilty, he said upon release that he would find a job within the next day or two. Half of his net income will then be turned over to pay back child support for his 11-year-old daughter. As long as he complies with the court orders, the state has agreed to recommend probation instead of jail time.

The 31-year-old father said that for income he's hopeful that he can sell cars. He said that he has 10 years of sales experience, but has just been out of work for the past few years.

In this case, the fact that the father faces criminal consequences for being behind on payments shows just how serious the courts take paying court-ordered child support.

In the state of Missouri, parents who are behind on their payments are normally contacted by the Division of Child Support Enforcement. Of course, in some of these situations, the parent has not paid because they are out of work, or their financial situation has changed and a modification to the existing order is needed.

In this recent case, the district judge has already said that the child support payment schedule that was set in May 2005 will be re-evaluated.

In general, if you are a father who was recently contacted by the DCSE, do not go at this alone. Instead, make sure to contact an attorney who focuses on family law to make sure that your interests are also protected.

Source: The Record-Courier, "Man admits he owes $50,000 in child support," Feb. 13, 2012

1 Comment

Getting a lawyer to help when you are out of work and need to have child support readjusted is a great idea but if your out of work it's impossible to pay what a family law attorney wants to help with this. Besides, I have requested an adjustment to lower my child support when I changed jobs and after the request it was increased instead of decreased. In requesting it be lowered or re adjusted 2 times it went from 150.00 a month to 234.00 a month couldnt afford the 150 when I had to quit work so now i'm afraid if I request it adjusted again and lowered it's gonna be over 300 a month. Any place I can get free legal help to get it lowered? I'm physically unable to work but cant get SSI when I keep being given a choice of 3 years in prison or get part time work to pay something on support. Besides the child support I'm taken to court every month and charged court cost in addition to the support. This is quickly adding up to a huge amount.

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Team To Get Help Now

Tell us about your case and we’ll get back to you promptly.

Bold labels are required.

ERROR: Please enter a site level or form specific email address in the application.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Stange Logo

Stange Law Firm, PC
120 S. Central Avenue
Suite 450
St. Louis (Clayton), Missouri 63105

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
St. Louis Law Office Map

DHQ | Divorce Headquarters Divorce
Headquarters ® App Download The App
Questions? Live Chat Pay Your Bill Online
States of Service

Other Office Locations

  • Saint Louis County: 120 S. Central Ave., Suite 450, Clayton, MO 63105: Clayton Office
  • West County: 16024 Manchester Rd., Suite 103, Ellisville, MO 63011: Ellisville Office
  • Jackson County: 256 NE Tudor Rd., Lee's Summit, Missouri 64086: Lee's Summit Office
  • Jefferson County: 16 Municipal Drive, Suite C, Arnold, MO 63010: Arnold Office
  • St. Charles County: 2268 Bluestone Drive, St. Charles, MO 63303: St. Charles Office
  • Franklin County: 5 S. Oak St. Union, MO 63084: Union Office
  • Lincoln County: 20 Centerline Drive, Troy, Missouri 63379: Troy Office
  • Boone County: 1506 Chapel Hill Rd., Suite H, Columbia, MO 65203: Columbia Office
  • Greene County: 901 E. St. Louis, Suite 404, Springfield, Missouri 65806: Springfield, MO Office
  • St. Clair County: 115 Lincoln Place Ct., Ste. 101, Belleville, IL 62221: Belleville Office
  • Madison County: 25 Professional Park, Suite B, Maryville, Illinois 62062: Maryville Office
  • Sangamon County: 400 S. 9th St., Suite 100, Springfield, IL 62701: Springfield Office
  • McLean County: 1012 Ekstam Drive, Suite 4, Bloomington, IL 61704: Bloomington Office
  • Johnson County: 7300 West 110th Street, Suite 560, Overland Park, KS 62210: Overland Park Office
  • Sedgwick County: 2024 N. Woodlawn Street, Suite 407, Wichita, Kansas 67208: Wichita Office
  • Shawnee County: 800 SW Jackson Street, Suite 812, Topeka, Kansas 66612: Topeka Office
  • Tulsa County: 6660 S. Sheridan Road, Suite 240, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133 Tulsa Office
  • Monroe County: 116 W. Mill St., Waterloo, IL 62298 (by appt. only): Waterloo Office
  • St. Louis City: 100 S. 4th St., #549, St. Louis, MO 63102 (by appt. only): St. Louis Office
  • Jackson County: 2300 Main St., #948, Kansas City, MO 64108 (by appt. only): Kansas City Office

The choice of a lawyer is an important decision & should not be based solely upon advertisements. See additional disclaimers here.