While being a single parent can certainly be very rewarding, it can also be difficult. Especially in situations where the noncustodial parent is not paying child support.
Sadly, a recent report by the U.S. Census Bureau points to the fact that the majority of custodial parents are not receiving the full amount of child support that is owed to them. This in turn puts many parents in tough situations as they are forced to care for their children without needed financial resources. Many who are owed child support are also even living in poverty with their children.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau report, in 2009 only 41.2 percent of custodial parents were receiving the full amount of child support. This was down from 46.8 percent in 2007. The report also found that there was a total of $35.1 billion owed in child support during 2009.
Of those parents owed, around 50 percent have some kind of agreement worked out with the other parent about child support. Of those, 90 percent are court agreements, and the other 10 percent are informal agreements.
In addition to being owed money, many custodial parents are also finding themselves living in poverty. In fact, of the 13.7 million custodial parents, 28.3 percent had incomes below the poverty level. This number is also up from 2007, when 23.4 percent of custodial parents were living in poverty.
Of course with these alarming statistics, many fathers with primary custody of their children are probably wondering what exactly they can do to receive the child support. In those situations where money is owed, it is best to contact a family law attorney to see what options are available to help you receive the child support that you and your child, or children, deserve.
Source: MainStreet, “Parents Finding It Harder to Get Full Child Support Payments,” Kristin Colella, Dec. 7, 2011