${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt} Main Menu
Call Today: 855-805-0595
To protect your safety during the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, we “strongly encourage” telephone and video conferences, versus face-to-face meetings. Please contact our office today to set up a remote consultation. For more information, read our blog post.

Report: Many custodial parents are not receiving child support

While being a single parent can certainly be very rewarding, it can also be difficult. Especially in situations where the noncustodial parent is not paying child support.

Sadly, a recent report by the U.S. Census Bureau points to the fact that the majority of custodial parents are not receiving the full amount of child support that is owed to them. This in turn puts many parents in tough situations as they are forced to care for their children without needed financial resources. Many who are owed child support are also even living in poverty with their children.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau report, in 2009 only 41.2 percent of custodial parents were receiving the full amount of child support. This was down from 46.8 percent in 2007. The report also found that there was a total of $35.1 billion owed in child support during 2009.

Of those parents owed, around 50 percent have some kind of agreement worked out with the other parent about child support. Of those, 90 percent are court agreements, and the other 10 percent are informal agreements.

In addition to being owed money, many custodial parents are also finding themselves living in poverty. In fact, of the 13.7 million custodial parents, 28.3 percent had incomes below the poverty level. This number is also up from 2007, when 23.4 percent of custodial parents were living in poverty.

Of course with these alarming statistics, many fathers with primary custody of their children are probably wondering what exactly they can do to receive the child support. In those situations where money is owed, it is best to contact a family law attorney to see what options are available to help you receive the child support that you and your child, or children, deserve.

Source: MainStreet, "Parents Finding It Harder to Get Full Child Support Payments," Kristin Colella, Dec. 7, 2011

1 Comment

Almost every time that I see it is the mother that runs away and abducts the child with a new boyfriend that she thinks may suit her needs better just to find out that the new guy is worse than the last. The stress of the abduction and alienation puts the left behind father on publicaid and the split finances puts them out of their home. This leaves both parents on public aid almost every time. If the system was set up to stop abduction and help keep parents together this problem would be much less harmful but right now it is set up to help mothers abduct and hide their children which is causing almost every parent to eventually be on public aid with in about a year of the abduction.

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Team To Get Help Now

Tell us about your case and we’ll get back to you promptly.

Bold labels are required.

ERROR: Please enter a site level or form specific email address in the application.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Stange Logo

Stange Law Firm, PC
120 S. Central Avenue
Suite 450
St. Louis (Clayton), Missouri 63105

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
St. Louis Law Office Map

DHQ | Divorce Headquarters Divorce
Headquarters ® App Download The App
Questions? Live Chat Pay Your Bill Online
States of Service

Other Office Locations

  • Saint Louis County: 120 S. Central Ave., Suite 450, Clayton, MO 63105: Clayton Office
  • West County: 16024 Manchester Rd., Suite 103, Ellisville, MO 63011: Ellisville Office
  • Jackson County: 256 NE Tudor Rd., Lee's Summit, Missouri 64086: Lee's Summit Office
  • Jefferson County: 16 Municipal Drive, Suite C, Arnold, MO 63010: Arnold Office
  • St. Charles County: 2268 Bluestone Drive, St. Charles, MO 63303: St. Charles Office
  • Franklin County: 5 S. Oak St. Union, MO 63084: Union Office
  • Lincoln County: 20 Centerline Drive, Troy, Missouri 63379: Troy Office
  • Boone County: 1506 Chapel Hill Rd., Suite H, Columbia, MO 65203: Columbia Office
  • Greene County: 901 E. St. Louis, Suite 404, Springfield, Missouri 65806: Springfield, MO Office
  • St. Clair County: 115 Lincoln Place Ct., Ste. 101, Belleville, IL 62221: Belleville Office
  • Madison County: 25 Professional Park, Suite B, Maryville, Illinois 62062: Maryville Office
  • Sangamon County: 400 S. 9th St., Suite 100, Springfield, IL 62701: Springfield Office
  • McLean County: 1012 Ekstam Drive, Suite 4, Bloomington, IL 61704: Bloomington Office
  • Johnson County: 7300 West 110th Street, Suite 560, Overland Park, KS 62210: Overland Park Office
  • Sedgwick County: 2024 N. Woodlawn Street, Suite 407, Wichita, Kansas 67208: Wichita Office
  • Shawnee County: 800 SW Jackson Street, Suite 812, Topeka, Kansas 66612: Topeka Office
  • Tulsa County: 6660 S. Sheridan Road, Suite 240, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133: Tulsa Office
  • Oklahoma County: 2601 NW Expressway, Suite 411 W, Oklahoma City, OK 73112: Oklahoma City Office
  • Monroe County: 116 W. Mill St., Waterloo, IL 62298 (by appt. only): Waterloo Office
  • St. Louis City: 100 S. 4th St., #549, St. Louis, MO 63102 (by appt. only): St. Louis Office
  • Jackson County: 2300 Main St., #948, Kansas City, MO 64108 (by appt. only): Kansas City Office

The choice of a lawyer is an important decision & should not be based solely upon advertisements. See additional disclaimers here.