${site.data.firmName}${SEMFirmNameAlt} Main Menu
Call Today: 855-805-0595

Child custody relocation requests rise with economic pressures

For some spouses divorce and child custody agreements can be hard to reach. However, with the current economic climate and more parents financially struggling, many are finding the situations to be even more trying as more are filing relocation requests.

According to a survey of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, in the past three years 85 percent have seen complications arise in reaching a divorce settlement due to some kind of housing debt. Additionally 53 percent reported seeing an increase in the number of child custody cases that involve a relocation request.

Sources say the majority of these relocation requests are due to one parent finding a job opportunity in another area, or wanting to live with or closer to a new partner.

However, regardless of employment opportunities or new love interests, in Missouri if one parent wishes to relocate with their child, the other parent must also approve. Without both parents agreeing on the relocation, a judge needs to approve the move.

But what's interesting is that even though those in the survey reported seeing a 53 percent increase in the number of child custody cases involving relocation requests, respondents reported that there has only been a 21 percent increase in the number of relocation requests approved by the courts.

Relocation requests in Missouri

In Missouri relocations, a parent must send a certified letter to the other parent explaining where the move would be to, and the reason for the move. A new proposed visitation and child custody schedule must also be provided.

After receiving the letter, a parent has 30 days to file an objection, which puts a stop on the relocation until there is a hearing with a judge. Without filing an objection it could be considered that the parent waived their right and that the move is OK.

However, even though there are laws in Missouri on how to relocate with a child, complications can still arise as sometimes parents relocate without first asking, or a parent doesn't understand the objection process. Because of this, if you want to move, your ex has already moved with your child, or you have received a certified letter about a move, it's best to talk with an attorney who specializes in family law to make sure that your rights as a parent are protected.

Source: The Sacramento Bee, "Struggling Economy Complicates Divorce and Child Custody Cases says Survey," American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Sept. 26, 2011

1 Comment

I'm currently having this issue but my WIFE left with my kids to Missouri and is now filing for child support. She left without telling me she was leaving and I had no clue she was leaving. Can you please advise me with any information that would be helpful. Can she file for child support in a different state? Even though we have Joint custody...

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Our Team To Get Help Now

Tell us about your case and we’ll get back to you promptly.

Bold labels are required.

ERROR: Please enter a site level or form specific email address in the application.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Stange Logo

Stange Law Firm, PC
120 S. Central Avenue
Suite 450
St. Louis (Clayton), Missouri 63105

Toll Free: 855-805-0595
Fax: 314-963-9191
St. Louis Law Office Map

DHQ | Divorce Headquarters Divorce
Headquarters ® App Download The App
Questions? Live Chat Pay Your Bill Online
States of Service

Other Office Locations

  • Saint Louis County: 120 S. Central Ave., Suite 450, Clayton, MO 63105: Clayton Office
  • West County: 16024 Manchester Rd., Suite 103, Ellisville, MO 63011: Ellisville Office
  • Jackson County: 256 NE Tudor Rd., Lee's Summit, Missouri 64086: Lee's Summit Office
  • Jefferson County: 16 Municipal Drive, Suite C, Arnold, MO 63010: Arnold Office
  • St. Charles County: 2268 Bluestone Drive, St. Charles, MO 63303: St. Charles Office
  • Franklin County: 5 S. Oak St. Union, MO 63084: Union Office
  • Lincoln County: 20 Centerline Drive, Troy, Missouri 63379: Troy Office
  • Boone County: 1506 Chapel Hill Rd., Suite H, Columbia, MO 65203: Columbia Office
  • Greene County: 901 E. St. Louis, Suite 404, Springfield, Missouri 65806: Springfield, MO Office
  • St. Clair County: 115 Lincoln Place Ct., Ste. 101, Belleville, IL 62221: Belleville Office
  • Madison County: 25 Professional Park, Suite B, Maryville, Illinois 62062: Maryville Office
  • Sangamon County: 400 S. 9th St., Suite 100, Springfield, IL 62701: Springfield Office
  • McLean County: 1012 Ekstam Drive, Suite 4, Bloomington, IL 61704: Bloomington Office
  • Johnson County: 7300 West 110th Street, Suite 560, Overland Park, KS 62210: Overland Park Office
  • Sedgwick County: 2024 N. Woodlawn Street, Suite 407, Wichita, Kansas 67208: Wichita Office
  • Shawnee County: 800 SW Jackson Street, Suite 812, Topeka, Kansas 66612: Topeka Office
  • Tulsa County: 6660 S. Sheridan Road, Suite 240, Tulsa, Oklahoma 74133 Tulsa Office
  • Monroe County: 116 W. Mill St., Waterloo, IL 62298 (by appt. only): Waterloo Office
  • St. Louis City: 100 S. 4th St., #549, St. Louis, MO 63102 (by appt. only): St. Louis Office
  • Jackson County: 2300 Main St., #948, Kansas City, MO 64108 (by appt. only): Kansas City Office

The choice of a lawyer is an important decision & should not be based solely upon advertisements. See additional disclaimers here.